Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gfx Cards
Remnants of Chaos > General > General discussion
Hellohi
So, ATI has announced a new line of gfx cards O:, http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video...nfirmation.html quite sexi. I wonder how the new GTX360/GTX380, will match in price and performance. Discuss!
HadokanSF
well i'm kinda nubby when it comes to computers.
So does FPS count on your graphics card or the amount of RAM you have?
Deject3d
QUOTE (HadokanSF @ Sep 13 2009, 03:33 AM) *

what a badly worded question.

FPS = graphics card.

loading time = ram
HadokanSF
QUOTE (Deject3d @ Sep 12 2009, 07:34 PM) *

FPS = graphics card.

loading time = ram

told you I was nubby
sparta2
QUOTE (HadokanSF @ Sep 13 2009, 02:33 AM) *
well i'm kinda nubby when it comes to computers.

Anyhow I will probably upgrade to the 5k series. I do like the performance I get out of my 4770s though.
asetas
QUOTE (Deject3d @ Sep 13 2009, 05:34 AM) *

FPS = graphics card.

loading time = ram

Graphic card = Amount of pixels in your screen basically ..
Refresh rate = FPS

Refresh rate depends on your screen alot

RAM = Random Access Memory

ATI invested loads ones again to surpass Nvidia project - Eventhough these two cards are made from same company they are nothing alike. Basically the new ATI cards have alot better memory push than they used to have. Nvidia 2xx - x series cards such as 280 GGS which is the gaming worlds number one at this time what it comes to performance - price comparing.

ATI cards such as 5870 offers you very powerful source - Memory push is decent and we have brand of 200 GB O/U which offers a good base.

We can now compare these super good uber ATI cards to nvidia.

Nvidia now offers us a new baby from the brands. GTX 295
It cheaper - but has somewhat less memory push
The acceleration of Nvidia 2xx in the other hand has alot better performance thanks to its extremely high standart memory config.
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 223.8 [Nvidia]
memory bandwidth (GB/sec) 240 [ATI]

Nvidia here goes below ATIs performance in memory push. But it really seems that people are forgetting one rather important thing. Nvidia cards supports high tech technology which allows them to use Two Dual Link DVI HDMI and NVIDIA SLI as Quad.
In another words, if the card overloads it will forward DOUBLE amount of data through the wires allowing tranfer rate of 440 (GB/sec) Which is the same as TWO currently best ATI cards hatched together.

My personal conclusion: ATI invests alot but they cant surpass Nvidia in near future thanks to their extremely high end and light lined techonlogy. Basically cost/performance ratio is still deep in ocean and shouldnt be considered as Nvidias performance/cost ratio is alot better
optical
refresh rate != FPS, by the way.

Refresh rate is how often the screen 'pushes' or 'draws' the screen. This is a fixed value on most monitors, as it redraws the frame even if it hasn't changed, and two entirely different frames can still be drawn in the same time.

FPS is the amount of different 'pictures' that are generated in a second. This is the time it takes for the hardware (cpu/gpu/ram) to calculate and work out how the new frame will 'look' ie - how shiny a bullet is, the brightness of an explosion, the angle of a shadow, and so on, all that sort of thing. it is then pushed to the monitor which will refresh the screen, as it does, and draw what has been sent from the GPU
Recall
QUOTE (Hellohi @ Sep 13 2009, 02:43 AM) *
I wonder how the new GTX360/GTX380, will match in price and performance. Discuss!

don't give a damn about ati crap. I'm personally using it and i really .. really don't like it!
but anyway is there any date known about the new 300 series of nvidia? because i am about to buy a GTX 285 XXX in 2 weeks, but if new stuff comes out soon i bet the price will drop.
asetas
QUOTE (Recall @ Sep 13 2009, 11:30 AM) *
don't give a damn about ati crap. I'm personally using it and i really .. really don't like it!
but anyway is there any date known about the new 300 series of nvidia? because i am about to buy a GTX 285 XXX in 2 weeks, but if new stuff comes out soon i bet the price will drop.

If you have the slightest patience, do not buy the 2xx series. Wait untill they release 300 which should be out in near future
Hellohi
Hell yeah, a 5870 has 60% more performance then a 4870
Marklar
QUOTE (Hellohi @ Sep 13 2009, 05:24 PM) *
Hell yeah, a 5870 has 60% more performance then a 4870

Is there any benchmark proof to show this or just the usual marketing shit they say before releasing new products?

Our newest GFX cards have 60% more performance than the previous ones! **

** not really
sparta2
QUOTE (Marklar @ Sep 13 2009, 04:56 PM) *
Is there any benchmark proof to show this or just the usual marketing shit they say before releasing new products?

Our newest GFX cards have 60% more performance than the previous ones! **

** not really

I would test it if I had one and compare it to my 4770's
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.