Closed TopicStart new topic
> Sad News
optical
post Nov 9 2009, 07:52 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Root Admin
Member No.: 1

It is with great sadness that i bring the following announcement.
Due to a number of circumstances involved, Remnants of chaos will be shutting down in approximately a week, around the dates of 15-19th of november, 2009.

This has been a hard decision to make, however myself, as well as Rezlind feel it is the best one that can be made, giving the sitation we are in.

Prior to shutting down, i will be bumping up the votepoint rates to 4x per vote, and there will be a number of events and games ingame being hosted by the gm's, in order for everyone to enjoy the last few days of Remnants.

The arena season hasn't been decided on, however i was originally planning on ending it soon, so in the next few days you can expect your rewards to be in your mailbox.

There are a number of factors that have brought us to this decision, the first one being legality.
As some of you may know, blizzard has stepped in and shutdown wowscape, as well as taken them to court. At this stage there isn't much more information on what they plan on doing. However, it is obvious that they do not want to see private servers in existance any more and because of this, I would much rather respect their work and their decision and shutdown, then insult them as well as risk legal issues myself by continuing to run a server.

As some of you are aware, next year i plan on starting university, as this was my last year in school. This would also mean i have very little time to dedicate to ROC. Prior to the news of blizzard, i planned on either leaving ROC to someone else who is capable of developing it. However, it is unlikely that any such person would of come up in the short space of time there was to find them. I therefore feel that shutting down ROC would be the better decision, and it will be remembered as a great wotlk private server in its prime, rather then dying a slow death due to lack of development.

The third factor is money. As you will of noticed, we have not got any income, unlike most other servers, and i have payed the bill's every month out of my own pocket. This was fine for most of the year, however i could not continue to do so without selling virtual goods ingame, which i am very reluctant to do as it creates imbalance. Therefore selling items was not going to happen, as i created ROC to be a fun, competitive, enjoyable and challenging dedicated PVP Realm, not a business like some of the other wow servers are run with their ridiculous donation packages, such as donation for gm etc.

I am sorry for not notifying everyone sooner, however i have been extremly busy lately as i have my end of year exams next week as well as finishing up school last week, i have had very little time to write up a formal announcement. The decision to shutdown was made approximately a week ago, so it isn't as if i've kept it hidden for a long time.

And finally, to wrap up, i'd like to say thank you to a number of people.

First up - Staff/Others
Rezlind - A great dedicated administrator who was always there to help out. He has been with me since CC, and has been a great help with a number of decisions and was the man who chose the great GM staff we have today - Thanks!
Soon - Has been with us for a long time, took a few breaks to do other things along the way but always found his way back. Has continued to support roc since it was created.
Asetas - Longest standing ROC GM, has been a great help and i have never had a problem with him, good guy!
Janar/Syncron - Two of our younger GM's, also long time dedicated supporters of ROC, they were here since the beta began and have stuck it through till the end/ Never had an issue with them since CC, excellent staff members.
Icelina - A great guy who is pro at frost mage. Was with roc since the beta, also played on CC. He has come along way in maturity and is now a good guy. He resides in bavaria and will continue raging when he loses in arena due to "lag"
Royale - Quiet guy, didn't really get to know him very well personally, however he has also been here since the start and has helped out alot ingame as well.

Second off - Beta tested and long time players.
Thanks alot to everyone who has stuck it through with ROC since the days of the beta, in which we had 10 player peaks. You guys have helped tremendously, and i have alot of respect for you because of that. Thanks!

Third - Voters/Everyone else
Thanks to everyone who has played here and helped keep the community going. Those who voted day in and out, and supported us, you guys are great. Without you, there would be no ROC wink.gif.

When we officialy shut down, i will be keeping the forums and IRC/Vent online so that everyone can remain in contact for some time. I will also be giving my MSN away to those who ask for it. I will not be giving it to just anyone im afraid, only people who i respect/hot non tarps.

I encourage everyone to remain here until shutdown, however if you choose to leave, i recommend returning to retail, as you just cannot beat it, and your efforts will never be in vain.

If you have any questions, please do post. And i am warning you, if you troll or attempt to derail, i will dish out perm bans, keep this thread clean and respectful.

PS: I am writing this prior to a chemistry exams and haven't had time to check my grammar and spelling - go easy on me!

Regards - Optical.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xenius
post Nov 9 2009, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 450

Damn =(

+Quote Post
WarBunny
post Nov 9 2009, 07:58 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10

Bye. :-)

--------------------
''By Wool..''

Having a bad day? Express yourself.

+Quote Post
Kungpao
post Nov 9 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,536

sad.gif

I'm gonna have to go outside now.

--------------------

Kungphow - Ret Pala
Kungpao - Balance Druid

+Quote Post
juxti
post Nov 9 2009, 07:59 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

ty for the server, biggrin.gif it was fun to play on and GL with final year of school / uni

thanks for hosting it / developing it

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rezlind
post Nov 9 2009, 08:13 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 3

Im also giving out my email to friends and hot tarps.

+Quote Post
juxti
post Nov 9 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 51

will you be quiting rez or u going to play on a dif server

--------------------

+Quote Post
kazzy
post Nov 9 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,522

oh no =[

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rezlind
post Nov 9 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Group: Administrator
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (juxti @ Nov 9 2009, 03:14 PM) *
will you be quiting rez or u going to play on a dif server

There is no other server tbh.

+Quote Post
Jumpyz
post Nov 9 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 245

Thanks Opti for everything it was really fun i wish it wold stay for more time online it was the best private server ever lived and always will be rememberd with the best community i wish i cold stay in touch with u all and play more i dont know where to go retail is 2 laggy for me u guys where the best and i respect all of u if some1 wants to stay in contact with me please add my msn [email protected] and right ur character name in note opti please add me if u can wold rly like to know u better u seem like a rly nice guy 2 chat with and thank you for everything opti it was rly grate playing with you guys every one of u.

--------------------

Signatures made by:Asetas. Very special thanks to him.

+Quote Post
Lemon
post Nov 9 2009, 08:18 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 109

Thanks for the awesome serv...most fun I've ever had on the internetz :]

Guh bai

+Quote Post
Feverer
post Nov 9 2009, 08:19 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 88

well.. we should all join a new server.. and make our own comunnity there.. open a thread and make suggestions..

Sad ...

--------------------

Mixy <3 Forever
-Patch

+Quote Post
LampaN
post Nov 9 2009, 08:21 PM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 716

Thanks for the stay, i really enjoyed it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
God Realm
post Nov 9 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 222

Opti please give me your MSN sad.gif

+Quote Post
freecake
post Nov 9 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,798

It's been a great pleasure playing on this server again since CC. All you Gm's have done a great job, thanks opti for trying your best.

Many thanks freecake.

/salute.

--------------------

+Quote Post
painless
post Nov 9 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,401

That's sad news indeed.

Thanks for giving us a great place to rehab from retail Opti.
Good luck with whatever you're gonna do.

+Quote Post
Candy
post Nov 9 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 720

/bye great job with the server opti /respect

--------------------

A cockroach can live nine days without its head, before they starve to death.

+Quote Post
Icelina
post Nov 9 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Group: Trial GM
Member No.: 41

I vote for a gathering somewhere so we can decide what to do, i really dont want to leave without knowing where my friends are going.

--------------------
QUOTE (Boodi @ Jul 26 2009, 08:12 PM) *
ok listen i have attack with multiboxing bot i wasn't on other player i have make my first druid and i have seen other ppl who has a druid so kill every beacuse they do multiboxing and i don't have read the rouls adn i have read it now. sorry i will never do it again please unban me i delete my druid and never make a druid igen. just unban my characther

+Quote Post
freecake
post Nov 9 2009, 08:35 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,798

QUOTE (Icelina @ Nov 9 2009, 08:33 PM) *
I vote for a gathering somewhere so we can decide what to do, i really dont want to leave without knowing where my friends are going.

Let's pewpew on retail?. I've got many chars on there :> * (I play EU now not US.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Icyflame
post Nov 9 2009, 08:36 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,729

My greatest respect to all the staff, and especially you Optical. For even paying this server for so many players that enjoyed it till the verry last bit. I had a great awesome time on this server. I have not been here from the start. But I found it on xtremetop100, (Thank you voters) and eversince I never changed to another server. Since I couldn't find a server with som many stuff that actually worked properly (thank you devs). And the amount of players, there were so many already from when I logged in. Such an active community. After played 3 days I also decided to join the forums. Tho I am not such a forum troll I still did read alot of topics and the news every day. Thank you for this month of great fun. Best of luck with your schoolwork. And thank you for this awesome free server with fair rules, and GREAT gameplay. I am affraid I will not ever find another server like this. But still, THANK YOU, LOT'S. EVERYONE WHO TOKE PART IN CREATING/KEEPING THIS SERVER UP OR THE COMMUNITY! I sure will be there to enjoy the verry last bit of RoC. Cya arround wink.gif

Best of luck,
Icyflame
Lithum
Veragus
Lutherious
Drynut
(My main chars ^^)

--------------------
Forum posts should be more like skirts, long enough to show the facts, and short enough to keep things interesting,.

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:55 AM